#IPU139 – Discussion Points and Livestream
Tomorrow’s (15th October) highly anticipated Inter-Parliamentary Union panel discussion with the Standing Committee for Peace and International Security, chaired by Dr. Dan Plesch, will discuss comprehensive disarmament and non-proliferation. The panel will consist of Ambassador Janis Karklins, Permanent Representative of Latvia to the United Nations in Geneva, Ms. Kersten Vignard, Chief of Operations and Deputy to the Director of the United Nations Institute for Disarmament Research, and Ms Silvia Mercogliano, Political Affairs Officer, UN Office for Disarmament Affairs. After introductory remarks by the panellists, the floor will be open for an exchange of views, and an interactive q&a.
The session taking place in Geneva will address the following questions:
- Why is disarmament essential in a deteriorated security environment?
- How does disarmament contribute to sustainable development and peace?
- How can the United Nations and parliaments cooperate to ensure better implementation of the agenda?
- How can members of parliament ensure that disarmament measures are effectively implemented?
- What institutional and legal tools do members of parliament have for achieving disarmament?
- What specific steps can parliamentarians take to ensure democratic oversight of disarmament and non-proliferation?
According to the IPU’s concept note, “The aim of the panel discussion is to provide Committee members with an opportunity to reflect on the agenda, discuss the challenges to implement disarmament in a holistic manner, and consider arms control, disarmament and non-proliferation strategies related to weapons of mass destruction, conventional weapons and future weapon technologies. This session will also be an opportunity to expound on the longterm project on oversight of disarmament launched by the Committee.”
SCRAP can confirm, technology permitting, that we will be streaming the discussion live from Geneva on facebook from 1:30pm UK time! Keep an eye on our facebook page for the livestream, and on our twitter feed for live updates from the assembly (@SCRAPweapons).